Friday, January 25, 2013

Superintendent interview

                 I conducted an interview with my Superintendent Dr. Perez. When asked about leadership Dr. Perez continuously stressed the importance of ethics and having a vision for the campus. She also is an advocate for ensuring that every student in our systems receives a first class quality education. When I asked Dr Perez what leading with ethics looks like, she replied that means doing the right thing with regards to students at all cost. This means that no matter what, our top priority should be the well being and educational integrity of our students over any sort of personal or career ambitions.  When I asked Dr. Perez how she maintains a positive working relationship with the board she emphasized to me that at the root it involves being honest, open and continuously sharing information with these individuals regardless of the perceived outcome. When I discussed management in general with Dr. Perez she expressed the importance of surrounding yourself with qualified people, remaining informed, and being a lifelong learner. After hearing her speak on this process it seems as though as a superintendent you are in a constant race against information. It’s a full time job staying up to date on changes and new procedures that the school must have in order to push forward. Dr. Perez believes that wide ranging strategic planning is accomplished when staff members come together in order to utilize board goals.  What I learned from this interview is the challenges that a superintendent faces and the importance of team building, information sharing, and most importantly, being an ethical leader.

3 comments:

  1. Great interview Roy,

    It is amazing you lead your reflection with your Supt.'s comments as an ethical leader. This is will be an recurring theme I am sure in all blogs and in our internship experience. My Supt. spoke extensively about ethical decision making , and being a ethical leader as well.

    Well done,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see Dr. Perez stress the importance of keeping students at the center of all decisions. I have seen leaders forget that very important focus and let things like community pressure and money lead the cause in decision-making. I would think this would be the trickiest part of a superintendent's job - helping the school board and community see that the decisions have to be for the benefit of all students within the boundaries set forth monetarily and systematically. It's hard to shift paradigms and see things from a variety of perspectives. I think a superintendent has to be able to do that. AC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that Dr. Perez has the theme of keeping students first and having open and honest communication regardless of the outcome. I found that many of her answers were similar to the answers that I received from my Superintendent.

    ReplyDelete